Wednesday 18 February 2015

Beach at night



This is a treacherous road, and I don’t even have a torch with me. You shuffle along carefully and a pothole trips you, then stride purposefully without incident until it’s your nerve that fails you: it’s bloody typical. I’d be better off walking along the beach - at least the shingle is consistently uneven. 

So I do. The concourse of stone is illuminated by some damn fine moonlight and a smattering of stars. With the wall of night behind me it’s like being on a stage, the moon a disco ball, the starlight scattered across the waves. The light bounces around, shines on my face. 

The sea is a broken mirror sealing a door. Is the light from the sky or is daylight from the other side pushing in? Maybe if some of the people carved out up there left their posts for a while to explore, the animals would have their chance to shine, and there would be some clarity. 

In daylight there would be fishermen, casting a lure to catch the unwary. Transpose the writhing underbelly and you’ll see a legend of land pulled up by a fish-hook, a precious gift. But it is night, and this beach is resolutely night right now, and any fishermen unseen are keeping their own counsel, as I keep mine. 

Dark night, day light. So black and white at first glance, but this night is so white and that light so black that the days and nights bleed together. It’s only fitting then that they compete before me, one trying to overwhelm the other, spook their opponent with an unexpected current. It’s hard to tell who’s winning, as the foam clawing at the shoreline keeps falling back, changing colour.

The mirror pulses, broken fragments overlay. Or are the reflections a window? Is this a shining to the other side, where the sun glows, seagulls frost a rock, waves crash in reverse? The troubled surface puzzles at me in the unclear night, poses a question as it slips it away. You might campaign for this darkness, to see these stars provide illumination, but I can only see the door, the window, the fragments of a home caught in shadow.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very lyrical passage and the imagery is very vivid. It's an atmospheric start for a story or a more philosophical examination of what\s hidden and what's assumed. Either way, you're back on form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Zoe - a very lyrical passage. There are two strong themes I get - the battle between light and dark (day and night; today and tomorrow...) and the sense of fracturing and fragmentation (of the glitter ball and the reflected patterns of light from the sea). As an opening passage, it nicely sets up a story that has either (or both) of these issues at it's core. I'd be interested to see where this is going and how these themes develop.

    Minor suggestion... you shift between "you" and "I", a little. I think you intend this to indicate inner voice vs omniscient narrator voice (perhaps), but (without punctuation to indicate internal monologue), it might be better to pick one (I'd suggest "I") and use it constantly throughout. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hi kerry,
    I liked a lot of the description you've used in the piece 'shuffle' and the similie 'daylight pushing through from the other side.' being favourites; they help with the picture/atmosphere you create. I also like the informal comments like 'it's bloody typical.'

    I do think that the second half becomes too descriptive and speculating (as in the use of questions) and a bit of plot would have helped: why he/she has gone on the night time walk for example.

    ReplyDelete